A cheesy chicken potato casserole is the perfect meal for busy nights and a hungry family!
Chicken and potatoes are tossed in a quick sour cream ranch sauce, topped with cheese, and baked until golden.
Easy Cheesy Casserole
This meal is quick to make and we love it because it is not heavily dressed.
A bit of sour cream and ranch and ranch dressing is flavored even further with our favorite seasonings.
POTATOES Baby potatoes with their skins on means no peeling and extra quick prep. Any type of potato works well in a casserole, even sweet potatoes are an option!
SAUCE This casserole is flavorful without being too saucy. Sour cream and cheese make this casserole flavorful and we add in our favorite seasonings.
There are so many variations for this casserole, you can create your own masterpiece!
- VEGGIES Add extra veggies like chopped broccoli, sliced mushrooms, peas, or a handful of frozen veggies (thaw them first)!
- SAUCE Add a can of cream of chicken soup or 1/4 cup of hot sauce for a buffalo chicken casserole.
- TOPPING Assemble according to recipe and add french fried onions or even prepared stuffing mix to the cheese topping.
How to Make Chicken & Potato Casserole
- Cook cut potatoes in salted water. Drain and set aside (per recipe below).
- Fry cubed chicken with seasonings. Mix with bacon, green onion, and potatoes.
- Combine sauce and pour over chicken & potatoes.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake uncovered.
More Cheesy Casseroles
- Cheesy Ham Casserole – kids love this dish
- Velveeta Mac and Cheese – 5 star recipe
- Creamy Baked Tortellini – with ham
- Cheesy Chicken Casserole – easy favorite
- Cheesy Beef & Macaroni Casserole – budget-friendly
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole – a potluck favorite
Did your family love this Chicken & Potato Casserole? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Cheesy Chicken Ranch Potatoes
- 3 chicken breasts cubed
- 2 pounds red potatoes
- ½ cup ranch dressing store-bought or homemade
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon each pepper, garlic powder, dill, and parsley
- 1 ¼ cup cheese shredded, divided (cheddar or your favorite blend)
- 8 slices bacon cooked, crisp & crumbled
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Wash potatoes and cut into 1" cubes. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook 12-15 minutes or until tender.
Meanwhile, season chicken with salt & pepper. Over medium heat, fry chicken until no pink remains (about 6-8 minutes).
In medium bowl, combine ranch dressing, sour cream, ¾ cup cheese, and seasonings. Mix well.
Place chicken and potatoes into a greased 9×13 pan. Sprinkle with half of the bacon and half of the green onions. Spread sauce over top.
Top with remaining cheese and bake 35 minutes uncovered or until browned and bubbly.
Remove from the oven, sprinkle with remaining bacon and green onions. Serve with sour cream if desired.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Recipe slightly adapted from Joyously Domestic!