This coleslaw dressing is creamy, tangy and a little bit sweet. It’s easy to make with ingredients you likely already have on hand.
What’s in Coleslaw Dressing?
The best coleslaw dressing is creamy and tangy and a touch sweet, more so than a regular salad dressings.
These flavors make it especially good to serve with heavily seasoned foods and anything made with ketchup, barbecue sauce, or mustard.
- VINEGAR – I love a combination of white vinegar and apple cider vinegar but truly any light colored vinegar will do.
- MAYO – This is the base and makes it creamy. Some of the mayo can be replaced with sour cream or plain yogurt to lighten it up.
- CABBAGE – Green or purple cabbage are traditional but serve this over any kind of shredded veggie for a great side.
Celery Seed is a spice you may not have on hand but it truly adds great flavor and shouldn’t be skipped in this recipe. If you just need a little bit check the bulk aisle of your grocery store.
Coleslaw dressing will keep in a mason jar in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks so feel free to double (or triple) the recipe. Before using it again, give it a shake or stir.
More Favorite Coleslaws
While a classic coleslaw is a favorite, here are a few of our favorite variations!
- Cilantro Lime Coleslaw
- Creamy Apple Slaw Recipe
- Dill Pickle Coleslaw
- Creamy Broccoli Slaw
- Easy Asian Slaw
- Cilantro Jicama Slaw
- Red Cabbage Slaw
Did you love this Coleslaw Dressing? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- ½ cup mayonnaise or dressing
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ½ tablespoon cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- salt & pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk.
Let sit 30 minutes before serving.
Toss with 5 cups shredded cabbage or vegetables.