Air Fryer Fried Chicken is juicy on the inside with crispy crunchy skin!
This chicken is quick to make without the fuss or muss of a deep fryer meaning less fat and calories with all of the flavor.
Crispy Fried Chicken
As much as we love fried chicken, I can certainly do without all of the fat (and the hassle of deep frying). Cooking chicken in the air fryer is failproof.
It has just the right amount of spice and the skin is so crispy while the meat is tender and juicy.
What’s in Air Fryer Fried Chicken?
CHICKEN If possible, use bone-in and skin-on chicken, rather than boneless for the best flavor. However, this recipe works for breast meat, wings, legs, thigh meat, or tenders.
MARINADE Buttermilk and hot sauce combined with garlic powder make meat extra tended and flalvorful. Tangy, not too spicy, and a little bit garlicky!
COATING Cornmeal and flour are combined with more garlic and hot spices! For milder wings, reduce the amounts of cayenne and paprika, or increase it if you like it really spicy!
How to Air Fry Fried Chicken
Fried chicken is one of those entrées that the air fryer cooks so perfectly!
- Marinate chicken for at least ½ hour & up to 24 hours. Combine coating ingredients.
- Dredge chicken in coating mixture and spray well with oil or cooking spray.
- Air fry in a single layer until crispy.
For keto fried chicken, sub out wheat flour with coconut or another keto friendly flour, and combine with 2 Tbsp. almond flour instead of cornmeal.
- No Air Fryer? Cook fried chicken in the oven instead of the air fryer.
- If using boneless chicken, cook time can be reduced. Use a thermometer and cook just until chicken reaches 165°F.
- Ensure chicken is in a single layer and there is a little bit of space between each piece to allow the air to circulate.
- If needed, cook chicken in batches. Heat all of the chicken at 400*F for 4 minutes before serving.
- To reheat air fryer fried chicken while keeping it crispy, air fry at 400°F for 3-5 minutes.
- Alternatively, cut the meat off the bones and tuck it into a tasty wrap, or a pot pie for a whole new meal! Or make a delicious classic chicken salad sandwich.
- If stored in an airtight container or zippered bag, the USDA recommends that fried chicken can keep 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. For the best quality, use frozen fried chicken within 4 months.
Amazing Air-Fried Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Breasts – from fresh or frozen
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs – budget-friendly
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders – perfect for dipping
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken – juicy & delicious
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings – so crispy & flavorful
Did your family love this Air Fryer Fried Chicken? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Air Fryer Fried Chicken
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken with skin
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- cooking spray
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Preheat air fryer to 370°F.
Combine chicken, buttermilk, hot sauce, & garlic powder and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
Combine all coating ingredients in a bowl.
Remove the chicken from the marinade allowing excess to drip off.
Dip chicken in the flour mixture until evenly coated.
Place chicken on a pan or plate and generously spray with cooking spray or oil.
Place chicken in a single layer in the air fryer basket and cook for 15 minutes.
Open the air fryer and check for any dry flour spots, spray with oil if needed. Flip chicken and cook an additional 10-15 minutes or until crisp and chicken reaches 165°F.
Remove from the air fryer and season with salt and pepper.
If using boneless chicken, cook time can be reduced. Use a thermometer and cook just until chicken reaches 165°F.
Ensure chicken is in a single layer and there is a little bit of space between each piece to allow the air to circulate.
If needed, cook chicken in batches. Heat all of the chicken at 400*F for 4 minutes before serving.
Nutritional information accounts for 1/3 of the flour mixture and 1/4 of the marinade.