For an easy cheesy potato casserole recipe, funeral potatoes are an absolute must!
Similar to a cheesy hashbrowns casserole, these potatoes are extra quick to prep and can be made well ahead of time.
What are Funeral Potatoes?
Funeral Potatoes are an easy casserole dish that’s perfect for feeding a crowd!
This budget-friendly dish uses hashbrowns, cheese, sour cream, and soup, mixed together and baked until golden! It’s all topped off with a buttery cornflake topping.
We love funeral potatoes because they taste so crazy good.
They are so easy to make, economical, and can be served for any occasion.
Ingredients and Variations
This recipe uses diced hash brown potatoes from the freezer. Any frozen (or pre-cooked) potatoes will work.
Sharp cheddar cheese adds a bright, tangy flavor but use what’s in your cheese drawer. Cheese tends to melt best if you shred it yourself from a block.
Why not add jalapenos, broccoli, or even add diced ham or bacon bits!
Crushed corn flakes are sprinkled on the top for a crispy, golden brown topping.
How to Make Funeral Potatoes
Super easy, delicious, and fail-proof, this dish will ready for the oven in a few minutes!
- Grease a casserole dish. Prepare the topping & set aside.
- Saute onion in butter & mix with sour cream, soup, & some of the cheese. Season with salt & pepper.
- Stir in potatoes & pour into casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese, crushed corn flakes, & bake until the top is bubbly & golden brown.
- To use fresh potatoes, dice them 1/2″ or smaller and add them to salted boiling water. Cook about 7 minutes or just until tender. Cool slightly and proceed with the recipe.
- Shredded hash browns make a great base just like the diced potatoes do, so feel free to sub them out as well!
How to Store and Reheat
- The best way to store funeral potatoes is to cover the casserole dish with plastic wrap and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- To reheat funeral potatoes, simply place a portion or two in the microwave for a few minutes or toast in the oven at 325°F for 15-20 minutes!
More Potato Casseroles
- Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole – make-ahead
- Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
- Cheesy Potato Casserole – quick prep
- Potatoes Au Gratin
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole – creamy & cheesy
- Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole – 5-star recipe
Did you make these Funeral Potatoes? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
- 32 ounces diced hash brown potatoes
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup 10.5 ounces each
- 2 ½ cups cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 1 ½ cups cornflakes crushed
- ¼ cup butter melted
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease a 9×13 inch dish with butter.
Combine topping ingredients and set aside.
Cook onion in butter over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine onions, sour cream, soup and 2 cups cheese. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Add hash brown potatoes and pour into prepared baking dish.
Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle topping over.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until browned and bubbly.