Homemade cream of chicken soup is the ultimate comfort food! Tender chicken and a handful of veggies in a thick creamy flavorful broth.
This easy recipe comes together in no time at all for a savory soup that will be on the menu rotation all year long!
This recipe is so popular because the ingredients are probably already in the pantry! Add a tangy Greek salad and some cheesy garlic breadsticks to sop up all that wonderful creamy soup! Perfect for a work or school day lunch!
Adding cooked chicken to this soup is what makes it so easy! Use chicken from a leftover rotisserie chicken or use turkey if that’s what you have on hand!
Onions, carrots, and celery are simmered until tender. Try adding bell peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, or black olives!
Chicken broth is the base of this soup. Adding cream creates a creamy, flavorful texture!
How to Make Cream of Chicken Soup
A thick and creamy soup starts with a really good roux! After that, it’s as easy as 1-2-3!
- Saute onion in butter. Mix in the flour to make the roux.
- Add broth and whisk until smooth. Add sherry, veggies, and seasonings.
- Add chicken and cream last, and simmer. Remove bay leaf and serve immediately.
Add jalapenos for a zing or shredded cheese for a cheesy flavor!
Tips for Perfect Creamy Soup
- Make a roux by cooking a little bit of flour in the butter, then slowly add the broth and whisk it well until it is smooth and ready for the next step in the recipe.
- If there’s no sherry, feel free to substitute apple cider vinegar or another wine!
Super Yummy Soups
- Broccoli Cheese Soup – ready in 20 minutes
- Mushroom Barley Soup – easy to prep
- Homemade Tomato Soup – with fresh tomatoes
- Philly Cheesesteak Soup – easy & cheesy
- Italian Bean Soup – hearty & flavorful
Did you enjoy this Cream of Chicken Soup? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 onion finely diced
- ⅓ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery finely chopped
- 2 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream cream
- salt & pepper to taste
In a large pot, cook onion in butter over medium heat until softened, about 4 minutes.
Add flour and seasonings and cook 1 minute more.
Stir in broth a bit at a time whisking until smooth after each addition.
Add sherry, bay leaf, carrot, and celery, simmer 12-14 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
Add chicken and cream. Simmer 5 minutes more.
Discard bay leaf, season with salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with parsley if desired and serve.