Refried beans are one of my favorite dishes! In this easy recipe, they’re made pretty much effortless in the slow cooker.
A simple combination of beans, broth, and onions with a dash of spices and peppers is so easy to make. These are the perfect side for any Mexican favorite!
A Mexican Favorite
They take very little effort and are easy on the budget too!
They are a great side dish, perfect turned into a bean dip and freeze and reheat well.
What are Refried Beans?
Refried means the beans are “cooked twice” and then mashed or even pureed.
I love pinto beans for this dish but black beans are great too.
BEANS Pinto beans are the all-time favorite for refried beans, but any type of bean can be used. Try experimenting with different varieties to see what tastes the best!
FLAVORINGS This recipe calls for garlic, cumin, and bacon drippings for an extra boost of flavor! Feel free to mix things up with chili powder, cayenne pepper, taco seasoning, or anything else from the spice cupboard that appeals to the chef!
VEGGIES Jalapenos are a must if spiciness is wanted. For a milder flavor, remove the inner membrane and the seeds of the pepper. Onion and fresh garlic add an extra boost of savory goodness!
How to Cook Refried Beans in a Slow Cooker
Super easy to make, these slow cooker refried beans are ready when you are!
- Place beans and seasonings in the slow cooker and cook until soft.
- Place the beans in a bowl and mash adding cooking liquid as needed.
- Stir in bacon drippings and season with salt & pepper to taste.
What to Serve with Refried Beans
Slow cooker refried beans are the perfect side dish to some of our favorites! It goes great next to a bowl of salsa and tortilla chips or in our slow cooker beef burritos! Or, make our easy bean dip or 7 layer dip for a crowd!
- Refried beans keep beautifully in the refrigerator in an airtight container or zippered bag.
- They even freeze well! Just write the date on the outside of the zippered bag. Frozen refried beans will keep their flavor for at least a month if not longer.
- Reheat by popping them in the microwave. Adjust the flavors with salt and pepper and they’re good to go!
Recipes with Refried Beans
- Slow Cooker Chicken Chili – hearty & healthy
- Beef Enchilada Dip – so cheesy and creamy
- Slow Cooker Beef Burritos – perfect for a crowd
- Easy Bean Dip – a game day appetizer
- Favorite Beef Burritos – 5 star recipe
Did you make these Homemade Refried Beans? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Homemade Refried Beans
- 1 pound dry pinto beans
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper fresh, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings optional, or butter
Rinse beans and check for dirt or debris.
Place all ingredients in a 4QT slow cooker except drippings. Cook on High for 8 hours.
Remove the beans from the slow cooker reserving the cooking liquid.
Mash beans to desired consistency adding water as needed. Stir in bacon drippings if desired. Taste and season with salt & pepper.
For spicy beans, add an extra jalapeno. For mild beans, replace jalapeno with mild green chilis.