Honey garlic chicken has tender chicken baked in an easy homemade marinade. After baking, the marinade is thickened to make a flavorful honey garlic sauce!
Add in some fresh veggies and a side of rice for a great weeknight meal!
Sweet, sticky, and jam-packed with flavor, everyone loves this recipe! The ingredients are items you likely have on hand and the flavor is better than any take out you’ve ever had.
Ingredients & Variations
This recipe begs for new ideas, doesn’t it? Serve the cooked chicken pieces over rice pilaf, jasmine rice, Udon noodles, or even homemade noodles!
CHICKEN Chicken thighs are such a popular cut of chicken because dark meat is so juicy and flavorful. But breasts, wings, and chicken thighs will work for this recipe as well.
SAUCE Honey, soy sauce, garlic, and cider vinegar are mixed together to create the sweet & savory sauce!
VARIATIONS Add a few sautéed pieces of chopped broccoli and cauliflower, water chestnuts, or snow peas! Shredded carrots and bean sprouts would also be a delicious addition.
How to Make Honey Garlic Chicken
Super easy, and super tasty, this dish will be ready in no time!
- Mix Honey Garlic Sauce: Assemble the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Bake Chicken: Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken and bake. Flip after 25 minutes.
- Thicken Sauce: Make a slurry by combining equal parts cornstarch and water. Add to juices to thicken.
- Veggies – steamed broccoli, stir fry, bok choy; something fresh
- Rice – Easy Oven Baked Riceor brown rice
Better Than Take-Out!
- Kung Pao Shrimp – with a spicy kick
- General Tso’s Chicken – sweet & spicy
- Sweet and Sour Pork – loaded with fresh veggies
- Easy Mongolian Beef – 5 star dish
- Easy Homemade Chow Mein – ready in 25 minutes
Did your family love this Honey Garlic Chicken recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Honey Garlic Chicken
- 4 chicken thighs bone-in, skin-on
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup water + 1 tablespoon
- ¼ cup soy sauce low sodium
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- sesame seeds for garnish, optional
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Combine honey, water, soy sauce, vinegar and garlic.
Place chicken skin side down in a baking dish. Pour honey mixture over chicken.
Bake 25 minutes. Flip chicken over and bake an additional 20 minutes.
Remove pan from the oven and pour juices into a small saucepan.
Mix cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water. Bring pan juices to a boil and slowly add cornstarch while whisking until thickened.
Pour sauce over chicken and top with green onions if desired.
Ensure chicken reaches 165°F.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.