Instant Pot Lentil Soup is hearty, healthy, and delicious!
A mixture of veggies, lentils, and ground beef are pressure cooked for a tasty and healthful soup that just takes minutes to prepare!
Lentil Soup Made Easy
Lentil soup is traditional in many cultures. Made with red lentils, green lentils, or any other variation, it creates a thick, stew-like broth. Beans and legumes of all kinds are heart-healthy, inexpensive, and delicious!
In this variation, I use ground beef and veggies with a flavorful broth and put it all together in the Instant Pot. (If you don’t have an Instant Pot you can get one here or make lentil soup on the stovetop).
What Kind Of Lentils Are Best?
Use any kind of lentils in this soup. It just depends on what consistency and color you prefer!
- Brown and Green Lentils hold their shape and texture well, making them the centerpiece of the soup. These are the lentils you see most often in stores and both tend to have a mild flavor. These are my preferred choice for this soup.
- Red/Yellow Lentils are “split” meaning that they have been processed into small pieces. They do not hold their shape and almost melt into the soup (but they do thicken it nicely). Also known as Dahl, they will mix in with the broth and thicken it but aren’t ideal in this soup!
- Black Beluga and Puy Lentils can be hard to find and are also more expensive. Use these exotic varieties in a salad or as a special dish of their own. They’re a bit firm and have an earthier flavor.
How To Make Lentil Soup
You’ll love how simple this recipe is. It’s versatile, swap out beef for bacon or sausage… add in your favorite veggies!
- Sauté beef, onions, and garlic right in the Instant Pot. (Ground turkey or sausage work in this recipe too).
- Add remaining ingredients except for spinach. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Naturally release a few minutes, quick release any remaining pressure and stir in spinach. (Learn more about natural release/quick release here).
Garnish and enjoy! A delicious homemade soup ready in under an hour!
Serve this with…
Can You Freeze Lentil Soup?
You sure can! Just like ham and bean soup, this freezes like a dream. Ladle into freezer bags (we do individual servings) and lay flat until frozen. Once frozen, they can stand up nicely in the freezer to save space.
Easy Instant Pot Soups
- Instant Pot Potato Soup – easy comfort food!
- Instant Pot Chili – great weeknight meal
- Instant Pot Ham & Bean Soup – no soaking required!
- Instant Pot Beef Stew – hearty & effortless soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup – ready in under 30 mins!
Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup celery sliced
- 1 cup carrots sliced
- 1 large baking potato peeled and cubed
- 1 cup lentils
- 6 cups beef broth
- 28 oz diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley and parmesan cheese for garnish optional
Turn a 6QT Instant Pot onto saute. Cook beef, onion, and garlic until browned and no pink remains. Drain fat if there is more than 1 tablespoon or so. While beef is browning, prepare vegetables.
Add beef broth and scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Add remaining ingredients.
Set instant pot to high pressure for 15 minutes. Once the instant pot has cooked for 15 minutes, allow it to naturally release for 10 minutes. Release remaining pressure.
Serve with parmesan cheese & parsley if desired.
Recipe updated 11/18/20 for improved texture and flavor.