This delicious Kale Caesar Salad is rich and delicious with a shortcut dressing so good, you’ll almost want to drink it!
Panera Power Kale Caesar Salad and the Sweetgreen Kale Caesar are menu favorites but they can’t compare to this fantastic homemade version!
A Hearty Salad
Kale is a superfood packed full of flavor and nutrition, it only makes sense that it would be a good stand-in for the more traditional romaine lettuce.
One thing I love about using kale in salads in place of lettuce is that leftover salad (even with dressing) will last a couple of days in the fridge! Just leave the croutons aside if you’re making this ahead of time.
TIP: Leave out the croutons for a low carb version!
What’s in a Kale Caesar Salad?
VEGGIES Kale, of course, but feel free to add in some romaine or spinach as well.
TOPPING/FILLING Bacon, croutons, and Parmesan are favorite topping ingredients for this crisp and crunchy salad.
DRESSING The real star here is the creamy Caesar dressing! While my traditional caesar salad recipe has a from scratch dressing, this one starts with mayonnaise as a base. The result is a creamy and delicious dressing in no time at all!
Tips & Tricks
- After rinsing and patting dry the kale leaves, gently “massage” each piece between your hands until the leaves are somewhat softened and a darker green.
- Be sure to cut the spine out of each leaf before tearing it into bite-sized pieces. Tender kale is the result, but it still has all the healthy benefits!
- Kale Caesar dressing will keep in the refrigerator for about 3-4 days.
Our Fave Salads
Did you love this Kale Caesar Salad? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Kale Caesar Salad
- 1 bunch kale washed, dried, and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup croutons store-bought or homemade
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup parmesan shredded
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste* see note
- fresh black pepper
Combine all dressing ingredients until smooth.
Wash kale and dry well. Gently "massage" the kale with your hands until the leaves are somewhat softened and a darker green. While this is optional, it makes for a more tender leaf.
In a large salad bowl, combine kale and croutons. Top with dressing as desired and toss to combine.
Sprinkle with ⅓ cup parmesan cheese and bacon bits.
Be sure to cut the spine out of each leaf before tearing it into bite-sized pieces.
Anchovy adds a salty and briny flavor to the dressing and adding a small amount really boosts the flavor of this dressing. If you literally can’t tolerate anchovy, skip them and add finely minced or chopped capers instead.