Sautéed Zucchini is savory, hearty veggie side dish! Tender zucchini is cooked with garlic and herbs and a handful of tomatoes for a fresh side!
This is one of our favorite vegetable medley recipes, and topped with a sprinkle of creamy melted cheese? Yes, please!
Savory Sautéed Zucchini
Sautéed zucchini is one of our absolute faves because the ingredients are inexpensive and easy to find.
It’s quick to make, and packed with flavor!
Sautéed veggies are healthy and filling. For a low-calorie version, just reduce or omit the cheese. We also like it tucked into a wrap or served hot on a toasted hoagie roll! This dish is perfect for leftovers, too!
Ingredients and Variations
VEGGIES Fresh zucchini is the star of this recipe, and the flavors are enhanced with sautéed onions, garlic, and tomatoes.
CHEESE Some mozzarella and Parmesan give this dish a depth of flavor that blends all the veggies together! Don’t forget the spices!
OTHER TASTY ADD-INS But why stop there? Got mushrooms, peppers, corn, spinach, or even leftover noodles? Toss them in! For a non-vegetarian dish, meatballs, sliced Italian sausage, or leftover chicken will give this dish a protein boost!
TIP: Adding the tomato at the end of cooking keeps it fresh and flavorful without getting mushy.
How to Sauté Zucchini
Sautéed zucchini is quick and easy to make!
- Sauté onion in oil.
- Add garlic, zucchini, parsley, and basil. Cook according to recipe instructions.
- Add tomato, salt, and pepper, sauté briefly.
- Sprinkle cheese on the top, remove the pan from the heat. Cover and allow steam to melt the cheese.
- Cut pieces of zucchini in even portions so they cook at the same rate.
- Use canned diced tomatoes in place of raw, just be sure to drain the juices first.
- Cooked pasta like penne or rigatoni can be added to turn this into a meal or a heartier side.
- For a super bubbly topping, place the open pan under a broiler for about 3 minutes until the cheese is golden brown and melted (be sure the pan is oven-safe).
Leftover sautéed zucchini will keep up to 3 days in the refrigerator. To reheat, give it a mix and pop it in the microwave. Season with salt and pepper.
More Zucchini Favorites
- Easy Baked Zucchini
- Zucchini Soup
- Easy Zoodles (Zucchini Noodles)
- Zucchini Casserole
- Crispy Fried Zucchini
- Easy Zucchini Pancakes
Did you make this Sauteed Zucchini? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 large zucchini sliced ¼" thick
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup ripe tomatoes diced, any variety
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ounce mozzarella cheese shredded
- ½ ounce parmesan cheese shredded
Cook onion in olive oil over medium heat until tender.
Add garlic, zucchini, parsley, and basil. Cook until zucchini is tender-crisp, about 5-6 minutes.
Add tomato, seasoned salt & pepper. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
Remove from heat, sprinkle with cheeses and cover with a lid, rest 2-3 minutes, or until cheese melts.
Optional: Instead of covering with a lid, zucchini can be broiled to brown the cheese.
Reheat in the microwave until heated through & refresh with salt & pepper.