Strawberry Spinach Salad is definitely a crowd pleaser! A bed of fresh spinach is tossed with ripe juicy summer strawberries, creamy avocado, candied pecans, feta cheese & thinly sliced onions.
Toss this salad with a quick and easy white balsamic dressing below or your favorite balsamic vinaigrette for the perfect summer meal.
A Perfect Summer Lunch
- Spinach: I use spinach for this recipe but it’s great with your favorite crisp lettuce, like romaine or butter.
- Berries: Strawberries add the perfect juicy sweet flavor. Toss blackberries, raspberries or even mandarin oranges in too!
- Toppings: Candied pecans or toasted nuts and red onions add great flavor. Avocado and either goat cheese or feta are sprinkled on top for the perfect salad of crunchy, creamy, salty and sweet.
Candied pecans take a little bit of time to make but are so worth the effort. Make big batches and keep them in the cupboard to add to salads, top desserts or even just to snack on. If you don’t have them, substitute toasted pecans, walnuts or almonds.
To Toast Nuts
Place nuts in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Stir occasionally until the almonds are fragrant and lightly browned. Cool completely. Nuts can also be baked in the oven at 350°F for 6-9 minutes or until fragrant.
All of that fresh summer produce is topped off with a quick and easy homemade white balsamic vinaigrette.
It’s easy to shake up and the perfect combination of sweet and tangy! While I prefer this salad with the balsamic dressing, you can also use a Poppy Seed Dressing or your favorite vinaigrette!
What is White Balsamic Vinegar?
It is very similar to regular balsamic vinegar however it is made with a different grape and isn’t aged as long as traditional balsamic vinegar.
It’s slightly sweeter and has a little bit less tang or bite than a darker vinegar making it the perfect addition to salad dressings and other dishes where balsamic may be overpowering.
How to Make the Dressing
To create a vinaigrette dressing you will want to add the ingredients to a jar and shake to combine. If you happen to have a hand blender, you can also emulsify the dressing (which is blending it so the texture thickens).
For a thicker dressing, simply add all ingredients except the olive oil into a jar. Blend with a hand blender while drizzling the olive oil in as slowly as possible. This will emulsify (thicken) the dressing.
If not eating immediately, I leave the dressing off the salad and store it in the fridge for a couple of days. Toss immediately before serving.
More Fresh Salads
- Easy Taco Salad – A quick favorite meal
- Chef Salad – Great for a hot day
- Greek Salad – Add grilled chicken to make it a meal
- Favorite Spaghetti Salad – Lots of fresh veggies and flavor!
- Cucumber Onion Salad – Classic bbq potluck recipe!
- The Best Tossed Salad – Our go-to side, anything goes!
Strawberry Spinach Salad
- 10 ounces spinach
- 2 cups strawberries hulled & sliced
- 1/4 cup red onions thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup candied pecans or 1/2 cup toasted almonds
- 4 ounces goat cheese or feta
- 1 avocado diced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
WHITE BALSAMIC DRESSING
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic
- 2 tablespoons honey
- salt & pepper to taste
Mix together all dressing ingredients and set aside.
Dice avocado and toss with lemon juice.
Combine remaining salad ingredients in a large bowl.
Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.